AWS Database Migration Service commonly known as AWS DMS is used to migrate the databases. This service provides quite secure and easy migration of the databases. Source database remains fully functional during the migration process. The migrations can be homogeneous or can be heterogeneous. For Example, · Homogenous: Oracle to Oracle· Heterogeneous: MySQL to Amazon Aurora
Amazon DMS also allows data to be streamed to Amazon Redshift, Amazon DynamoDB, and Amazon S3 from any of the supported sources for easy analysis of data. It also supports continuous data replication.Therefore, the best features of AWS DMS are:
- Simple to Use
- Low Cost
- Fast and Easy Setup
- Minimal Downtime
- Supports Most Widely Used Databases
Steps for using AWS DMS:
- Create Replica: AWS DMS console wizard provides steps to easily select and perform the appropriate task involved in migration. The first step in the migration process is to create the replica. This replica should have enough storage capacity and processing power to perform the migration tasks from source to target database.
- Specify source/target DB: The second step involves specifying the source and data stores, for example, Amazon EC2, Amazon RDS etc.
- Specify data to migrate: In the third step, we specify the data to migrate. It also supports different types of migration like migrating existing data, migrating existing data and replicating ongoing changes, or replicating data changes only. After this task is created, the migration starts immediately if we select “Start task on create”.
- Monitoring: This process can be monitored using Amazon CloudWatch. AWS CLI or AWS DMS API can be used to monitor resources and network connectivity.
AWS DMS can also be used for database consolidation to a single target database. This process stands for both homogenous or heterogeneous databases.
It can also be used for continuous homogeneous or heterogeneous data replication.
Some of the AWS DMS customers are as follows:
- Pega Systems
- Currency Cloud
Click here if you want to find out more about AWS DMS Customers.For more details and step-by-step walkthroughs on AWS DMS, refer the website.